ÆLeads is an effort to create an informed, engaged, and positive volunteer experience and community within the Society for Creative Anachronism’s Kingdom of Æthelmearc. Our tag line is “developing community, confidence, and leadership.” This endeavor is powered by the belief we can integrate volunteer management tools and leadership best practices into our Kingdom culture to provide each of us – because everyone in our organization is a volunteer – with the tools and practices we need to ensure our Kingdom is welcoming, inclusive, and well-run – plus, a fun place to be.
This grassroots effort launched in February 2019, and truly, there are no limits on what we might achieve. Current projects include:
- Encouraging a “Service Track” of classes at every Æcademy and other university events. This includes identifying current classes already taught, encouraging subject matter experts to teach new classes, and creating a roster of available classes. We call this our “Deeds of Service” initiative.
- Encouraging a “Service Track” of classes at every Æcademy and other university events. This includes identifying current classes already taught, encouraging subject matter experts to teach new classes, and creating a roster of available classes. We call this our “Deeds of Service” initiative. Creating a list of “subject matter experts” on topics from volunteer recruitment and engagement to how to create an event budget to anything you need to know to run an event, hold an office, or simply lead others in our game in a way that is true to Corpora, Kingdom Law, and modern law.
- Making sure the above resource list and other standard resources (Corpora, Kingdom Law, etc.) are accessible and known to local officers and find-able by newcomers to our group, game, and culture.
- Creating a “retreat” event that combines physical events in each region with modern technology to create a kingdom-wide experience that builds community and expands our teaching reach.
- Expanding our circle to include: all who want to increase their volunteer “mojo”, all local, regional, and kingdom officers, and all upon the service path.
For more information and/or to get involved, visit our website, aeleads.aethelmearc.org. From there you can catch up on current efforts, read about past successes, and even join our list serve to have updates delivered directly to your inbox.
Everyone committed to developing a community devoted to providing excellent service and increasing the confidence and leadership skills of those who serve is most welcome to join our efforts. If you don’t see an immediate space for yourself, but you have an idea that fits within our vision, join us, and share your thoughts! You do not need to be an officer, Pelican, or protégé to be part of ÆLeads. Service is part of every peerage and each of us is a volunteer.